Saturday, March 12, 2011

Girl Walks Into A Bar

Directed (written & produced by) Sebastian Gutierrez, Gato Negro Films, 2011. Starring Carla Gugino, Zachary Quinto, Josh Harnett, Danny DeVito and many more.

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy

Question: Have you ever watched a movie that was posted on the internet for free? Well, here is your chance to catch the first ever free film on YouTube: Girl Walks Into A Bar.

Yesterday the film was released and I got a chance to watch it. It was kind of fun to grab my laptop, a comfy chair and some headphones to watch this film. I was a little nervous to see a film that was free but I recognized most of the actors and thought: why not?  Plus, most of you know I love to watch movies and I am glad I did because I ended up liking it.

First, the dialogue was good and really funny in parts - lots of quips from both men and women about the opposite sex. This movie is definitely not for children, due to some mature subject matter, but both men and women will like some of the great lines the actors got to say.

Second, the movie was a little reminiscent of early Tarrantino sans the violence. There were 5-6 mini stories all chopped up but somehow connected to one another but told in a normal time frame. Back to the dialogue - several scenes had that back and forth banter like the opening scene of Pulp Fiction that was intelligently written. Sorry to compare but I am a huge Tarrantino fan and I think that type of dialogue is hard to pull off well.

Third, the location scout found some really cool old LA bars to shoot the scenes. There are about 10 in all and I would love to go to them and order an old fashioned cocktail.

Lastly, it wasn't predictable. So refreshing. This is just a fun movie to watch.

On the flipside - I thought some of the "stories" were unnecessary or a little out there. Plus, the plot was a little disjointed but it really didn't bother me all that much. So go ahead and check this one out.

My favorite thing: I will say it again - it wasn't predictable.

My least favorite thing: the commercials (about 4 or so) but how else is someone going to release a movie for free?

Possibility of a sequel? I don't think so.

Did the previews show too much? I will admit I skipped the previews this time, but it is on YouTube as well.

Rating: R
Length: 80 minutes

Review: 6 out of 10

Click to watch the movie

No comments: